Many pastors, church leaders, and Christian people are concerned with cultural relevance. It seem like a lot of pastors and leaders compromise their faith and bend the scriptures thus compromising their integrity under the pressure of the media when faced with a culturally popular trend such as ‘gay marriage’.
Biblical Cultural Relevance
It is very simple to maintain cultural relevance without compromising faith or the word of God. All you need to do is follow biblical principles…
Proverbs 12:13 Evildoers are trapped by their sinful talk, and so the innocent escape trouble.
This means that there is something in any evildoer’s words that will trap them and allow the righteous person to escape any trouble. This is just so unbelievably awesome. However, many Christian leaders apparently don’t seem to believe what the Bible actually says.
Process of Biblical Cultural Relevance
1. A media reporter asks a pastor what they think about gay marriage. The media representative may already be “licking their chops” as they relish the thought of the poor culturally irrelevant pastor trapped and struggling to answer the question.
2. The godly pastor should of course be familiar with Proverbs 12:13 so he just immediately commits this question to the Holy Spirit. Then in his spirit and mind he ponders the words of his adversary as Proverbs 12:13 suggests of him, words such as: “diversity”, “celebrate diversity”, “equality”, “bigotry”, “phobia”, etc.
3. He suddenly realizes that male and female is actually diversity of the sexes.
4. He responds, “I believe in protecting and celebrating the diversity of one man & one woman in marriage.”
5. One may think that the following is an over exaggeration. However, we have actually seen the following reaction happen many times. Jesus invoked this kind of response many times to his replies…The media representative’s eyes may roll back in their head as they are shocked by what the pastor said. Their mind is swimming. Maybe hey are starting to sweat. “Oh”, is all they can manage as they stand there dumbfounded.
Psalm 64:8 He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; all who see them will shake their heads in scorn.
There are lots of verses like this in the Bible that Christian pastors and leaders seem unaware of or maybe they doubt the meaning of the scriptures.
These principles can be used to answer any question and turn the situation around for the glory of God.